Camera with GSM ;)

Aug 14 2005

So I’ve replaced my rusty D70 with a new cam. Not quite :) , but the D750i’s camera is pretty decent for a phone. Sony released three phones being pretty much exactly the same except for acessories and firmware. I got the D750i, cheapest of the three, which appears to be a T-Mobile branded w800, not too much different from the k750i.

In Linux the phone acts as a usb-storage device when connected using the USB cable. Bluetooth OBEX transfers work fine as well.

What I wasn’t able to get working and I would appreciate any help from lazyweb is external GPRS connections. While I was able to connect from within the phone, using jmirc, connecting a computer or my palm through the phone remains a wish. The modem refuses to accept the init string I used in my old siemens s55 (at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"). If I leave that out and just dial *99#1, the phone bails out and pppd dies unhappily:

GNOME PPP: Connecting...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Initializing modem.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATX3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATX3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Modem initialized.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATM1L3DT*99#
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Waiting for carrier.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATM1L3DT*99#
GNOME PPP: STDERR: CONNECT
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}#}$@#}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&,t}1}>8}#~
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ~[7f]}#@!}!}"} }8}#}$@#}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&,t}1}>r[11]~
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> PPP negotiation detected.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Starting pppd at Sun Aug 14 04:44:18 2005
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> pid of pppd: 759
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Using interface ppp0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> pppd: X3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> pppd: X3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> pppd: X3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> pppd: X3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> pppd: X3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> pppd: X3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Disconnecting at Sun Aug 14 04:44:23 2005
state: 0
state: 0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> The PPP daemon has died: PPP negotiation failed (exit code = 10)
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> I guess that's it for now, exiting
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 10)

If you know what sort of voodoo needs to be applied in the internet profile or what magical init string the phone accepts, I would be greatful. Uncle google will not talk to me.

Of course replacing the custom t-mobile firmware with w800’s would be rad as I am not using t-mobile. But I’m not sure it’s possible at all.

Update: Thanks for the help folks, just using the connection ID in the dial string is all that is needed (*99***[CID]#). I will post some sample images from the phone soonish.